The leather jacket is a highly appreciated piece of outfit not only by men, but by women as well. No matter your age it is obvious that a leather jacket is very useful.
The leather jacket’s history
Women’s leather jacket has a long history with many ups and downs. Actually, few people know that this piece of outfit was first spotted around the year 1930.
Chronologically, the leather jacket history started with the Great Britain’s pilots. Other specialists come with the idea that the first leather jacket was seen during the Civil War in Russia, worn by the Russian policemen.
No matter if we want to accept it or not, as it still happens today too, the famous people are the ones who successfully promote several pieces of outfit. So, yes, we are talking about singers, actors, actresses, they all promoted leather jackets. Among those we have to mention: Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford, James Stewart, James Dean and Gary Cooper. Speaking about nowadays stars I will only mention Kate Moss as a self-sufficient example since she is a huge fan of leather jackets.
Coming back to the above idea, at the beginning of the leather jacket fashion, James Dean had a very successful bad-boy image wearing leather jackets so all teenagers from the ‘50s in US hurried to copy. That made leather jacket at some point to be forbidden but in the end it only succeeded in making it even more desired. So yes, teenagers love for leather jacket actually strengthened its position within the fashion trends. After this episode, but without any obvious connection, leather jacket became the favorite of motorcyclists.
And because we have discussed earlier about a nowadays icon star (Kate Moss) I really want to remind you some contemporary movies which promote leather jacket: Top Gun, Grease, Matrix or Fight Club.
If we are talking about models of women leather jacket, here are the most important ones which imposed not only on the catwalks but also in the street fashion:
Classic leather jacket
So, now that we have seen the types of leather jacket for women, let’s talk about some interesting ideas on how you should wear a leather jacket:
a) With blue jeans
The first solution I will talk about it’s the jeans – leather jacket combination.
It is a perfect outfit for casual situations like going shopping, at the movie or just having a walk. Jeans are perfect for any woman because they are extremely versatile.Also they are comfortable and can be a perfect combination for leather jackets.
b) With maxi skirts
Maxi skirts are the type of skirts which can be worn with a lot of occasions and matched with a leather jacket can make quite an impression.
I personally like a lot maxi skirts because they have a very stylish look and they are easy to match. This type of skirt gives you plenty opportunities to wear it and it is perfect for an active but yet a very styled woman.
c) With miniskirts
The warm season is here and miniskirts are more than appropriate now
For a romantic evening, but still a little chilly one, match the miniskirt with a leather jacket and you will have a hot combination and still a cool one. If you feel attractive and love wearing miniskirts, then have in mind this great combination.
d) With dresses
If you want to look amazing and be elegant at the same time, then a dress will be the perfect solution for you.
Try to match it with a leather jacket and you will have a trendy and at the same time an elegant outfit. So, if you are going to a night summer party and it is chilly outside like it can happen from time to time, you can wear a leather jacket on top and forget about getting a cold. Don’t be afraid that it could be a problem of style involved in this combination; on the contrary, it is a quite interesting combination. This way you will prove your creativity and you will have an extraordinary cool look.
Regarding these combinations it is very important where you will wear them. And, even more important than that, it matters the weather because you will dress in a way when it is cold outside and different when it is warmer.
As I was saying before, I personally like a lot leather jackets so here are the detailed reasons for which I cherish them so much or, if you want, the advantages of leather jackets:
– Versatility is maybe the most important characteristic which I enjoy the most and I believe to be everyone’s favorite too. This is the type of clothing which can be easily matched with almost everything – as you have read before, not only with jeans but with dresses as well – and, of course, the type of clothing which can be worn on the most different occasions from having a walk to a shopping session and even to a fancy party.
– It completes your entire outfit – yes, it is perfect for your wardrobe because it succeeds like no other piece of clothing to complete very well any outfit you might want to wear.
– It is very warm because it is made from leather and this is actually a big advantage since it will also protect you from wind (now you know why bikers wear it, it wasn’t just a fashion but a necessity too) and also it protects you from rain.
– It is easy to clean – as I was already saying, because it is made of leather also helps a lot when it comes to clean it and it is also quite easy to be taken care of.
– Durable – this is important for any piece of clothing and durability is definitely a very appropriate characteristic of this type of jacket. No doubt it is a piece of outfit which has to be in your wardrobe.
– Cool – well, yes, history has already proved it and, as I have said it above, it is also the symbol of rebellion, of what it means to be cool, against the system, against everything conventional.
– Trendy – it is not only very cool, but leather jacket is a piece of outfit very trendy because of its appearance and it is still considered that way. Practically it is always within the latest trends and this can be seen not only on the catwalks but also on the streets.
– Perfect for any season – you can rarely find a piece of clothing which can be worn in all seasons like a leather jacket, maybe just jeans can reach this performance of being able to be worn no matter the season.
– Efficiently protects you against wind – it isn’t just an accident that leather jacket is preferred by bikers since they need it the most as you already know.
– Can be worn at any age – well, yes, here is an important quality which can’t be ignored, on the contrary it is worth mentioning that a leather jacket can be worn at any age so this is an amazing advantage for all women, not only for high school girls.
– It has an exceptional price-quality ratio so it is a good value for the money. This piece of clothing being very trendy as I have already said it above tends to be everyone’s favorite for a long period of time. Its quality depends on a lot of aspects, but in many cases it is the excellent price-quality ration which stands out the most.
Now, an interesting question arises: which is better a faux leather jacket or a real leather jacket? Well, here is an entire story with pros and cons but I’ll try to summarize it because the discussion can be really long. The specialists are saying that synthetic fibers do not provide the same perfect protection as real leather does. Also, again into the advantage of the real leather it is said that faux leather doesn’t have the same resistance to abrasion. On the other hand, real leather has a much better protection to rain, heat and cold. Well, if you would ask me, I believe this is a personal choice and it depends on your preference.
Leather jacket is no doubt a piece of outfit which shouldn’t miss from any woman’s wardrobe no matter her age or social status.