It is one of the most essential pieces of women’s wardrobe, and yet it has only been in existence for seven decades. An icon in power, the bikini is both a weapon of seduction and a tool of liberation; beyond trends and fashions, its history is intimately linked to the evolution of modern society. A fascinating story that two enthusiasts and experts in the field Ghislaine Rayer and Patrice Gaulupeau tell through a fascinating book. Without forgetting the retrospectives and special events that will continue until the fall.
Like most fashion stories, it was in Paris that it all started, in the unique setting of the Molitor Pool, a masterpiece of Art Deco architecture from the 16th arrondissement. Inaugurated in 1929, it hosted the very popular Fêtes de l’Eau in the 1930s, where all of Paris gathered to discover the latest seaside creations of the moment. On July 5, 1946, the knitwear specialist and pioneer of the swimsuit Louis Réard presented a brand new creation, the revolutionary potential of which he was the only one to grasp. It was by playing with shapes and silhouettes that he finally found the right concept: a two-piece swimsuit, the smallest ever seen, which he named in tribute to an atoll in the Pacific Ocean that would become worldwide. famous after nuclear tests in July, the Bikini Islands. An explosive cocktail which will not however have the expected effect as he makes his debut at Molitor: the press will not echo it, with the exception of a few fashion magazines which judge Mr’s bikini A far too vulgar pig.
If it will gradually emerge from anonymity, it is in particular thanks to the efforts of its creator who multiplies the publicity stunts to make people talk about his jersey. Is it really sold in matchboxes in stores around the world, from London to Los Angeles? Is it so outrageous that professional models refuse to wear it? As rumors circulate, the bikini is gradually asserting itself as the new favorite swimsuit for women who choose it not only for its look and its ultra-practical rating but for the liberation of the customs it embodies. Among his acolytes are some of the most emblematic names of the last century, from Brigitte Bardot to Marilyn Monroe via Ursula Andress. 70 years later, it is as essential to the modern wardrobe as jeans and sneakers.
In order to celebrate this legendary creation with dignity, special events will be organized until the end of the year, notably around the work written by two real experts in the field, Ghislaine Rayer and Patrice Gaulupeau. United by their shared passion and an impressive collection of more than 5,000 pieces, including 500 swimsuits, these bathing, lingerie and corset historians conducted the investigation for almost two years to trace the sources of the creation of the bikini to finally restore the truth about a past that is too often overlooked. Bikini, La Légende (published by Michel Lafon editions) therefore retraces seven decades punctuated by revelations, anecdotes and numerous archive photos that take us from Paris to Hollywood via the beaches of Cannes.
On the occasion of the publication, La Sucrière de Lyon is hosting a special exhibition from July 9 to 24 on the sidelines of the Mode City and Interfile salons, an event for which Ghislaine and Patrice have selected some of their most precious pieces; at the same time, Galerie Joseph, located in the heart of the capital in the Marais, will present a series of archival photographs throughout the summer until August 31. Finally, in the fall, the Mare di Moda show in Cannes will organize a major retrospective around the bikini, during which exclusive vintage models will be unveiled that will pay tribute to 70 years of a rich and long history, including the most beautiful pages. are still to be written.
There is a perfect swimsuit for each of us, you should be convinced about that, and that also, regardless any type silhouette. Choosing a swimsuit is a real problem for those of us who are more than concerned about the way they look on the beach. Nowadays there is a real fashion swimwear and thus purchasing one becomes extremely important. Bikini is for sure a real option for a trendy woman. Fundamental rule when you start looking for the perfect swimsuit is knowing what you want to buy. The models intended for a workout in the pool are different from those worn at the beach. The former are in one piece and made so as to provide fast swimming. Swimsuit models designed for sea vacations are designed to offer comfort, flexibility and, why not, elegance. Also, you should know how much you want to bronze or if you like or not attracted attention on the beach and, why not, you have to decide and the amount of money you’re willing to spend to purchase accessory indispensable a vacation at the seashore.
Swimsuit color and must be chosen depending on skin type. Turquoise, purple, white and yellow are the colors that bring out the best out tanned skin. Costumes red or other bright colors perfect fit women with olive skin. But there is a rule in the choice of color, but each of us must opt for an outfit that knows that favor color.
What to DO when you buy bikini 2020:
– Wearing a thong panty in your shopping day.
– Make shopping early in the season. Do not wait until they begin reductions because, on the one hand will be crowded into the store and, on the other hand, he might not find your size.
– Try as many styles. Swimsuits are like jeans – you have to try on several tens up to you find the perfect one. And remember – the style that you stayed well over 5 years, it is possible to stop advantage today. The lines of swimwear are changing along with the evolution of fashion and just change our bodies.
– Put your strengths in value.
What NOT to do when you buy bikini 2020:
– Do not go shopping after eating. If you feel bloated or swollen, you may need a larger size. So it’s better to go shopping as early in the morning, but that does not necessarily mean on an empty stomach.
– It is not a good idea to try swimsuit or when the body retains water when you do not feel in your waters. Wait for a week.
– Do not rush and do not despair. Finding the right swimsuit is a long process. Do not be surprised if you need several visits to the mall to find your perfect swimsuit.
How to choose bikinis 2020
That’s it! You decided to dare the bikini. Here are 5 tips to choose it well … and wear it!
1- Before you go shopping, determine what your body shape is, ie the shape of your body. Thus, you will know better which parts to highlight and which elements to cleverly camouflage. Consult the article How to dress according to your figure for useful advice. Now, many shops allow you to pair the top and bottom of the bikini as you wish, allowing you to choose the appropriate cuts for each part of your body.
2 – Arm yourself with patience and try several types of “top”. There are various cuts that modify the effect it will have on you. The colors and the fabric also influence your look. Think about it! A crush, it’s great, but it still has to really suit us. For a small bust to which you want to give volume … Avoid: black and dark colors Choose: white or lighter colors. For a more imposing bust … Avoid: a top that does not support your breasts well, headbands and stripes Choose: black, dark colors and tops with whales that provide good support.
3 – Now, head to your buttocks to choose the bottom of your bikini. But beware, the bottom of the bikini can also attract – or not! – the attention on your legs. To give them the impression of being longer, opt for high-waisted briefs. To highlight your buttocks, wear a light color, a more cut cut or even mini shorts. To camouflage your butt, black is to be prioritized, avoid stripes and patterns. Resist the temptation to choose panties that are too covering, because you will make your buttocks more imposing and attract all eyes precisely where you do not want. Also, panties with elastic bands or drawstrings that you can adjust on the side are good options, because you can attach them as you wish, not too tight to avoid marks on the skin and especially the formation of small unsightly beads .
4 – Play with colors. Remember the rule to wear the lightest color on the part where you want to draw attention. Then, dare the combinations (same color, two tones in harmony, a solid pattern duo, doubled with rather neutral colors, etc.).
5 – The dream bikini seen in a magazine is rarely the one that will fit you best. Know how to make concessions to wear a bikini that will truly benefit you. Forget the classic triangle top if you wear C or more. Same thing for the thongs, they are rarely advantageous. The risk of falling into the vulgar is too great. Skirts camouflage well, but they are widely associated with older women. In the fitting room, ask for the sincere opinion of the seller and dare to open the door for her to advise you on other possible models.
How to choose your bikini according to your figure
The bikini is a must-have for any woman in the hot season, but not only. If during the summer vacation you pamper yourself by tanning and enjoying the fine sand and the sea waves, when the outside temperatures drop you can relax at an indoor pool. So, regardless of your preferences, swimsuits are the indispensable accessory. However, how do you choose it based on your figure? Your figure can give you the best clues about how you should choose your clothes. All the more so, this is an important decision criterion when you want a swimsuit that highlights your feminine features and masks those that you are not necessarily proud of.
How do you choose the swimsuit if you have voluptuous breasts?
If you have voluptuous breasts, you can consider yourself lucky! However, they become a real chore when you want to sit on the beach in a tiny swimsuit, don’t they? This is precisely because you have not chosen the right swimsuit. Here’s how to choose a swimsuit, beach or pool outfit if you have a generous bust:
– Choose a bra in dark colors, so as not to draw even more attention to the bust area; for the same reason, we recommend that you avoid swimming tops with prints or ruffles or fringes, as it adds volume to the breasts.
– Forget strapless bras; you need a bra to support you in the breast area, such as reinforced or balconette style.
If you have a small breasts?
Are you not part of the category of women who can boast of a voluptuous bust, but on the contrary? Don’t worry, you can get volume in the chest area by choosing a swimsuit that suits you. Are you curious to know how you can catch the eye on the beach or the pool, even if you don’t have very big breasts? We tell you:
– Choose a beach bra that has applications, ruffles and any other three-dimensional element; thus, you will get an optical enlargement of the bust;
– If you want to draw attention to the neckline, confidently wear tops with horizontal or oblique stripes, which will give pleasure to this area of the body;
– Opt for push-up bra.
How do you choose the swimsuit if you have broad shoulders?
Small physical differences make us unique, so you do not have to worry if you do not have a perfect figure, especially since there are many clothing options to choose from. Do you have broad shoulders? Find out what to wear when going to the sea or the pool!
– Swimwear or bras that a design inspired by windsurfing suits are in high demand this season. What’s more, they are perfect for masking broad shoulders!
– Whole swimsuits, which have cutouts on the side, are also suitable for you if you want to distract from the shoulder area;
– Avoid bras that fit around the neck and opt, instead, for bras with classic straps, but also with large necklines, to redirect the eyes to the bust area;
– If you have wide shoulders, bras with a single strap create an effect similar to that of oblique stripes.
What bikinis to wear to the beach if you have a flat posterior?
The flat back is not a physical disadvantage, but we understand you if when you go to the beach you want to give it a little volume. Choose the right brief and you will look millions, without the need for exercises to tone the bottom!
– Choose briefs with Brazilian cuts, which give pleasure to the back;
– Rely on cheerful prints, which add volume;
What do you wear if you have a prominent posterior?
Is the back one one of your physical strengths? It’s also a shame not to value it! To get a flawless effect and to have a book-like appearance on the beach or at the pool, find out how to choose the right briefs!
– Opt for one-piece briefs or swimsuits inspired by retro fashion. High-waisted swimsuits accentuate the bulging shape of the bottom and, in addition, thin the waist!
– Vertical stripes are the ideal choice if you want to minimize, optically, the size of your backside;
– Avoid steering wheels, applications or very colorful and crowded prints if you do not want to add even more volume in the rear area.
Top 3 interesting facts about bikinis 2020
1. Swimsuits that revealed any part of the torso were considered indecent at one time, even for men!
2. However, among some older people, such as Minoans and Sicilians, two-piece swimsuits similar to bikinis were quite common.
3. Almost three quarters of the swimwear market is made up of women’s swimwear, the rest being equally divided between men and children.
Trends bikini evolution is very fast and not to forget, since their appearance does not have any any gap in their evolution. Always manage to maintain in women’s preferences. For example swimwear with the sides cut out are very trendy lately. They are looking very nice and fancy. Also wraps one-shoulder swimsuits is looking great, you can’t argue with that. Asymmetric cuts are looking for stunning that is clear.