Ripped jeans have long been a fad of fashionistas who are guided by the latest trends. They have entered the street fashion so strongly that you will meet them at every step. Extravagant, strong and very daring, they compose unique outfits, meant to take you out of the ordinary.
Are ripped jeans in style 2021? Ripped jeans are back in fashion. I think you noticed that too. But have you ever wondered why wearing ripped jeans? We only found 5 serious reasons.
- You can wear ripped jeans to stand out. Or maybe you won’t stand out at all, because everyone wears them. Or maybe the “breaking” pattern is so original that you’re sure to stand out. Just don’t stand out in a shocking or negative way, because I don’t think ripped jeans on hairy legs would be too appropriate.
- Ripped jeans can be especially cool on hot summer days, providing extra comfort from this point of view. For this purpose, their ruptures must also be chosen carefully, ie they must be positioned correctly.
- If you have a pair of ripped jeans and there is an incident where they break, it’s absolutely no problem. If you have suit pants that cling and tear, what do you do? With torn jeans, however, you are saved from the start…
- You can wear ripped jeans for a very long time, as long as they are “new”, but especially after they are torn again… This will save you a lot of money, even if their initial price is higher.
- Their versatility is absolutely tremendous. You can combine it and wear it in such various places.
In order to be able to talk about ripped jeans, we must first talk about jeans. Let’s go back to 1850, when a German Jewish merchant named Loeb Strauss sold blue denim pants to miners and ranchers looking for a cheap, hard, comfortable, and durable material.
In those days, denim pants (material that appeared in the Middle Ages, in the French city of Nîmes – hence the name -> de Nîmes) were very cheap, so they soon became popular among immigrants arriving in America.
Let’s stop at the term blue jeans and see where it got its name from. Well, during the Renaissance, denim was made in Italy and sold in Genoa, because sailors needed very durable pants. Blue jeans comes from the French expression “bleu de Genes”, translated as “blue of Genoa”.
Going back to Loeb Strauss (who later changed his name to Levi), I must mention that he worked with a Jewish tailor named Jacob Davis.
Davis is the first to tighten the pockets of trousers with metal targets (the miners complained about their poor strength), and jeans began to have their classic look. It goes without saying that they soon conquered not only the States but the whole world.
Before 1970, ripped jeans were associated with the less fortunate, more specifically, the poor. The lower class of workers could not afford denim, so they could not take new pants, but wore the ones they had until they broke.
The truth is simple – long before people wore torn clothes as fashion items, they wore them as a simple necessity. The reality was reversed, and in the late 1980s, during the rock / heavy metal and punk era, ripped jeans became extremely popular and were worn as a sign of rebellion.
In early 2010, ripped jeans came back, they were called “distressed denim”, and designers like Diesel or Balmain put them on the catwalks, so stores started selling them. Basically, ripped jeans returned with the fashion of the ’80s, including high-wasted overalls or pants. Nowadays, you can find them everywhere, and the reason why consumers buy them and don’t make them at home alone, is because denim has become much stronger and harder to break (so that they look good).
How to choose the right ripped jeans? – Basically, to choose the right model, you need to evaluate the capabilities of your body. This is because ripped jeans models are designed for different women, and an incorrectly selected product can put you at a disadvantage. Thus, for women with lush and attractive shapes, high-wasted jeans are the most suitable. Stylists also recommend paying special attention to cutouts, which can be located in completely different ways and which play a special aesthetic role. So, if you are attracted to classic ripped jeans, you should opt for symmetrical cuts that show some abrasions. It doesn’t matter how deep they are, because they will look amazing anyway. The most original options are jeans for women with interesting cuts, which can make up the entire model. However, you should know that the location of the cuts on ripped jeans plays an important role, because with their help, you can easily emphasize the advantages of the body and you can hide the defects.